Well, fortunately for you, if you have undergone genetic testing, they don’t, and they can’t add a loading to your policy.
Why can’t insurers use genetic test results?
We all have the Disability Act 2005 to thank.
This pretty sound piece of legislation prohibits the insurance companies from asking about genetic tests.
When you apply for life insurance, you must disclose a certain amount of personal information, such as:
- Family medical history
- Personal medical history – Your insurer may ask for access to your medical records, but you have to provide your permission for this.
- Your age
- Height & weight
- Whether you are a smoker or a drinker
- Any prescription drugs you take
- Your occupation – high-risk occupations can increase your premiums)
- Any hazardous hobbies you take part in
- Star sign
- Pet’s name
- Mother maiden name
- How many photos contain traffic lights